No Comments

How do I help my relative become a U.S. permanent resident? I am a permanent resident

Guide For Permanent Residents

TIM, Immigration, USCIS 

As a permanent resident of the United States, you may help a relative become a lawful permanent resident based on your status. To do so, you will need to sponsor your relative and be able to prove that you have enough income or assets to support your relative(s) when they come to the United States. You begin the process by filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. An I-130 form is available on the USCIS Web site at


Which relatives may I petition for?


A permanent resident of the United States can file a petition for the

following relatives:

  • Husband or wife;


  • Unmarried child(ren),regardless of age.



Only U.S. citizens may petition for married children. When you submit your petition, you are required to provide evidence to prove your relationship to the person for whom you are filing.


What does the petition do for my relative?


Filing an I-130 relative petition and proving a qualifying relationship gives your relative a place in line for a visa number among others waiting to immigrate based on that same kind of relationship from the same country or region. When your relative reaches the head of the line, he or she may be eligible to immigrate.


Read more about how to petition for your relative as a permanent resident at


You might also like

More Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed