No Comments

How do I help my fiancé(e) become a U.S. permanent resident? I am a U. S. citizen

TIM, Immigration, USCIS

A U.S. citizen who wishes to marry a non-U.S. citizen or permanent resident can help their fiancé(e) obtain permanent residence in different ways.


One way is to apply for a fiancé(e) visa if your fiancé(e) is overseas and you want to marry in the United States. This visa lets your fiancé(e) enter the United States for 90 days so that your marriage ceremony can take place in the United States. Once you marry, your spouse can apply for permanent residence and remain in the United States while we process the application. If you choose this method, file a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). Filing instructions and forms are available on the USCIS site. If approved the I-129F, the USCIS will send it to the National Visa Center, which will process and forward it to the U.S. Embassy or consulate nearest your fiancé(e)’s foreign place of residence. The embassy or consulate will then invite him or her to apply for the actual fiancé(e) visa.


Another way is to marry your fiancé(e) overseas. If you marry overseas, you can then file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for your new spouse. For more information about the I-130 relative petition for a spouse, please see Customer Guide A1,I Am a U.S. Citizen…How Do I…Help My Relative Become a Permanent

Resident of the United States?


If your fiancé(e) is already in the United States in another legal immigration status and you want to marry in the United States, please see Customer Guide A1 about filing an I-130 relative petition after you marry.


What are the basic eligibility requirements for a fiancé(e)petition?

You must be a U.S. citizen to file a fiancé(e) petition. Read more about the requirements here.


You might also like

More Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed