Submission Period: Wed. January 9 – Wed. February 13, 2019
The annual Central Avenue Jazz Festival celebrates the legacy of the historic Central Avenue corridor in South Los Angeles and is one of the last few genuine jazz celebrations left in the Southern California region. This festival is a free family-friendly event paying tribute to jazz greats such Louis Armstrong, Charles Mingus, Billie Holiday, Dexter Gordon and Gerald Wilson, while putting a spotlight on the younger emerging artists that are continuing this rich art form.
From the early 1900s to the 1950s, Central Avenue became the epicenter for music, especially with the sound of Rhythm and Blues, and upbeat tones of Jazz. With music as its center, Central Avenue quickly became the heart and soul of the African American community in Los Angeles.
The Central Avenue Jazz Festival takes places along Central Avenue, between Vernon Avenue and Martin Luther King Boulevard. This community festival presents a diverse selection of local culinary experiences, art, culture and features jazz performances on three stages, as well as, at the historic Dunbar Hotel on the Avenue.
A rich tapestry of art, culture and diverse jazz sounds is yours to explore on Central Avenue.
Who Can Participate?
Artists around the Southern California area are invited to submit their original artwork for the chance to win cash prizes in the Central Avenue Jazz Festival Commemorative Poster Art Contest. There is no entry fee.
A panel will select the winning submission and finalists based on creativity, best use of the festival theme and use of color. Page 2 of 3
Entry Deadline: All original entries must be submitted in digital format online to http://www.centralavejazzfest.com/index.php/art-contest by Wed. February 13, 2019 no later than 4PM
Finalists will be required to submit artwork in its original form to our office at 4301 S. Central Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90011 by Wed. February 20, 2019 no later than 4PM.
Winner announced: Wed. March 6, 2019.
Top Prize: $500 to be awarded by Council Curren D. Price Jr. on stage at the jazz festival. National promotion exposure, the winning artwork will be used to construct all festival marketing printed materials (posters, program book, banners, billboards, signs, postcards, t shirts, giveaways and more). The First place winner shall receive ten posters, postcards and one of each souvenir item produced with his or her artwork. Mention in the press release, a photo and feature on the festival website, social media and your artwork will showcase your name (whenever applicable).
2nd Place Finalist: $250.
3rd Place Finalist: $100.
The winning artwork will reflect the theme, characteristics, flavor, and elements of the Central Avenue Jazz Festival and historic Central Avenue.
It will lend itself to adaptation, in whole or in part, for use on a variety of marketing collateral pieces, from newspapers, websites, t shirts, program book, postcards, banners, billboards and alike. Entries should be accompanied by digital files of the artwork in jpeg and pdf formats. The winning artist may be required to make modifications to the work as requested.
- Artwork design may be computer graphics, oils, watercolors, inks or sketches.
- All submission must be original work.
- The finished product must be void of any writing (The festival logo, dates and other content will be inserted in production).
- Artist entry form must accompany all submissions and include a brief description of your artwork.
- Must be vertical and at least 18” wide x 24” high.
- Submission format: JPEG, 300DPI (RGB CMYK), 4MB or PDF file.
- No more than two entry submissions will be accepted for consideration from each artist.
- When developing your artwork, please keep in mind that your poster design will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Clarity and illustration of theme and the elements of the Central Avenue Jazz Festival and historic Central Avenue.
- Impact, memorability and appeal to the general audience.
- Poster must NOT include: nudity, weapons or offensive imagery. We expect artists to exercise their best judgment in making creative decisions.
- Use of color. Colorful designs are preferred.
- Versatility for application on other media.
- Winner of the contest must be available to sign posters at the Central Avenue Jazz Festival for at least 2hrs each day.
- You agree and understand that all rights of the winning designs will belong to the Central Avenue Jazz Festival.
- Finalists’ originals will be available for return excluding the winning submission.
- Must submit a W9 to receive prize money.
- Winner of the contest may be required to submit additional specified digital formats.
- The artwork will be the sole property of the Central Avenue Jazz Festival upon selection and payment to the winner.
Central Avenue Jazz Festival shall have the irrevocable, perpetual, exclusive, transferrable, royalty-free worldwide license to use, copy, exhibit, publicly display and distribute submitted entries for any activity, reproduce and distribute to third parties that are associated or sponsored activities.
For more information, please email:
email@example.com or call (323) 846-2651.