A Story of Hope, Hard Work, and the Promise of America
Karine Jean-Pierre recently introduced her new book MOVING FORWARD: A Story of Hope, Hard Work, and the Promise of America (Nov 5, 2019; HarperCollins/Hanover Square) with national interviews on The Today Show, Morning Joe, and with Nicole Wallace on Deadline White House. We are very excited to bring her to LA!
In her inspiring new memoir, MOVING FORWARD: A Story of Hope, Hard Work, and the Promise of America (Nov 5, 2019; HarperCollins/Hanover Square), Karine Jean-Pierre, Chief Public Affairs Officer at MoveOn.org, offers a timely manifesto for effecting change even if you have no power or position. Her own life is proof since she grew up a poor, black, gay, Haitian-American immigrant who rose up to the forefront of American politics with jobs at the White House and now as a political analyst for MSNBC.
Many Americans feel paralyzed by the state of politics. With her characteristic warmth and humanity, Karine demonstrates there’s never been a more dangerous time to feel such paralysis and instead we must find it within ourselves to be “Moving Forward.” She then shows us how with practical guidance on getting involved and supporting the causes and the politicians we believe in.
In her interview on IMPact With Pamela Anchang, she discusses:
· Step-by-step, practical advice for how anyone can get involved before the 2020 election.
· Her experience as an unconventional change-maker working against the barriers of her gender, race, and identity, and confronting the myth that only white, privileged men of status can access power in our democracy.
· Flawed Democratic candidates (Karine worked with both Anthony Weiner & John Edwards), and why it’s important to focus on the party’s big-picture agenda vs. lamenting that there’s no “perfect” candidate.
· Why the term “progressive” became so divisive and why ALL Americans should reclaim it.
· How politics is no longer a closed system, anyone can get involved, and everyone should at this critical moment.
Tune in to IMpact wIth Pamela Anchang, at 2PM PST or Online live at kpfk.org/player!
About the Author:
KARINE JEAN-PIERRE’s professional experience has ranged widely from presidential campaigns to grassroots activism, to local politics, to working in the White House. Jean-Pierre is the Chief Public Affairs Officer for MoveOn and an NBC and MSNBC Political Analyst. Jean-Pierre previously served as the Deputy Campaign Manager for Martin O’Malley for President. In 2011, Jean-Pierre served as Deputy Battleground States Director for President Obama’s 2012 re-election campaign, managing the President’s political engagement in key states while leading the delegate selection and ballot access process. Before joining the re-election campaign, Jean-Pierre served as the Regional Political Director for the White House Office of Political Affairs. She received her MPA from Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs in 2005 and joined the school’s faculty in 2014. Learn more at: http://www.karinejean-pierre.com/#Book